Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Psychologist

I am seeing a psychologist here in Tepic to try to get some help working through the grief I am feeling over the death of my girlfriend. Today was my third visit. It seems to be helping me a great deal. Today we laughed together for the first time.

This psychologist is a quite young and very attractive woman, with all of the confidence of untried youth. She speaks Spanish only.

It is sometimes difficult for me to express my thoughts and feelings in Spanish, because my grasp of this language is so poor, but we make progress nonetheless. I told her today that I am trilingual. Perfect in English and Espanglish, but my worst language is Spanish. She seemed to appreciate that.

She tested me today with some kind of formal verbal examination, I think to see if I am approaching senility. She assured me afterward that I am not. Nice to have that officially recognized.

She is encouraging me to interact more with people, but I am finding this difficult. I shudder at the thought of doing this, but tomorrow, for lack of any other resource, I am going to participate at this senior's centre in something called Zuma, which is apparently a form of exercise geared toward us ancianos. So we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment