Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bicycling in Tepic

Bicycling in Tepic can be a difficult proposition. The main arterial roads are insanely busy here, and the motorists, especially the taxi drivers, have absolutely no regard for cyclists. Because of this, I stick to the back streets, and always cycle with the premise that each and every driver on the road would kill me if they felt it would go unnoticed.

The back streets are a big problem too, for a different reason. They are sometimes littered with glass and little bits of metal, too much to avoid.

Soooo...after countless flat tires I took the plunge and bought some airless tires. I felt somewhat like Wile E. Coyote, ordering airless tires from the Nu-Teck tire company in Colorado. Eventually they came, neatly packaged, coiled up in a cardboard box.

The guy at the bicycle shop that I use gave up after a frustrating hour of trying to get them on the rims. When I came to pick up my bicycle at the appointed time, he told me it was an impossible job. I managed to persuade him that the tires would stretch enough, and after reassuring him that I would not hold him responsible if he wrecked anything, we sat down together and managed to install one by experimenting with various techniques. I came back next day and my bike was ready because he installed the other one next morning.

Today I tried them for the first time. The ride is a little harsher, and I have to work a little harder, but overall I am pleased. I really love the no-flat-tires scenario. That works for me.

Now I am wondering if Wile E's Acme company sells somehing like a homicidal motorist's repellant.

No comments:

Post a Comment